The Harbour players were in full force on day two at the YONEX North Harbour International 2019, with places in the quarter finals up for grabs.
One of the first players on court was Shaunna Li – the recently crowned junior women’s singles champion at the VICTOR Oceania Championships in Melbourne last month. The 15-year-old player showed pure dominance on court, winning in two games after twenty-three minutes:
- Shaunna Li (NZL) vs Janice Jiang (NZL) 21-8 21-15
The reigning junior champion in the men’s singles, also a Harbour player, fought valiantly in his match against China’s Gao Zhengze, but after numerous long rallies, the youngster went down in two games:
- Gao Zhengze (CHN) vs Edward Lau (NZL) 21-13 21-17
Lau was also on court in the mixed doubles alongside Alyssa Tagle. The harbour pair were up against the VICTOR Oceania Open Mixed Doubles Champions, and first seeds, Simon Wing Hang Leung and Gronya Somerville from Australia. They immediately got off to a strong start, before the Australian’s found their form to take the game in two:
- Simon Wing Hang Leung/Gronya Somerville (AUS)  vs Edward Lau/Alyssa Tagle (NZL) 21-8 21-9
Meanwhile, Maika Phillips and Anona Pak weren’t able capitalise on their second seed status and lost in three close games:
- Runze Yan/Qin Jinjing (AUS) vs Maika Phillips/Anona Pak (NZL)  21-15 19-21 21-13
We had three representative pairs in the women’s doubles on day two. Ko Hyun Jeong and Fransisca Angelica Rahardia were the only pair to come away with a win against Tonga, while the second seeds, Calder-Hawkins and Pak went down against a strong Chinese pairing:
- Qiu Ziying/Wang Hui (CHN) vs Jasmin Chung Man Ng/Justine Villegas (NZL) 21-18 21-12
- Ko Hyun Jeong/Fransisca Angelica Rahardia (NZL) vs Mele Lingisiva Kei/Lata ‘Iisitolo (TNG) 21-7 21-3
- Hou Fangfang/Li Jiajia (CHN) vs Erena Calder-Hawkins/Anona PAK (NZL)  21-15 21-15
In the men’s doubles, Jack Jiang and Joshua Feng celebrated a victory over an Australia duo:
- Joshua Feng/Jack Jiang (NZL) vs Rio Agustino/Dimitri Han (AUS) 21-19 21-18
For all the results from day two of competition and to view the schedule for day three (quarter finals and semi finals), visit Tournament Software.